Holiday Fire Safety Tips To Keep Your Family Protected
As the holiday season approaches the risk and potential for fire damage occurring inside homes in Arizona becomes much higher. The sad truth is that during a season that is supposed to be filled with happiness, joy and time with family and friends, most preventable household fires happen. And believe it or not, there are a few simple holiday fire safety tips you can engage that will keep your home and family as safe as possible.
3 Critical Holiday Safety Tips
Tip #1 – Install Smoke Alarms on Every Level inside Your Home
Did you know that nearly 65% of deaths that occur as a result of a home fire are caused because the home occupants had no warning? It’s true – according to the American Red Cross, it is estimated that simply installing smoke alarms on every level of a house, and making sure they work by changing out batteries and testing them frequently, could prevent more than half of the home fire fatalities. The best way to keep your family safe from a home fire is to ensure they are aware that the fire is beginning to start. And without question, the best tool available to alert any occupants is a professional smoke alarm.
Here are some important fire smoke alarm safety tips:
- Make sure to install fire alarms on every level of a home
- Install fire alarms in main hallways and close to every bedroom
- Verify smoke alarms are functioning by testing them monthly, and replacing batteries if needed every six months
Tip #2 – Create an Easy to Follow Fire Escape Plan
Another leading cause of injuries and fatalities during a fire inside a home is panic. Although a fire is a very traumatic experience for anybody, it becomes easier for people to handle this crisis when they are educated about what to do in case of a fire. And this begins with a fire escape plan that is easy to follow. Here are a few tips for creating a good fire escape plan:
- Designate a meeting place outside that is free from potential fire danger
- Plan a route of escape for every floor and room inside a home
- Make sure to keep hallways free from clutter or furniture that could cause a blockage of the escape route
- Make sure every family member is aware of two escape routes to take in case of fire & practice this fire drill twice per year
- Consider installing escape ladders for bedrooms on the second or third floor of a home & make sure every family member knows how to safely use them (and when to use them in case of fire)
Tip #3 – Ensure Every Family Member Knows What to Do In Case of Fire
Being prepared for a fire is one thing – but knowing what to do in case of a fire is often what allows people to safely escape injury or even death. This is why it’s so vital to teach every family member what to do in case a fire occurs. Here are some critical holiday fire safety tips that could save a life during a fire:
- Teach the Stop – Drop – Roll method. It is critical that any family member, especially children know what to do in case their clothes catch fire. Just as important is the lesson to stay as calm as possible if this occurs.
- Teach every family member to never reenter a house on fire. Always stay outside until the all clear is given by a professional fire fighter.
- Never open a door that is warm to the touch & if heat, smoke or flames block an exit route, stay in the room with a door closed.
Although there are many things you can do to prevent fires from happening, it is just as important – if not more critical, that you take as many proactive measures to engage these holiday fire safety tips inside your Arizona home in order to keep your family as protected as possible.