How to Prevent the Need for Fire Damage Repair at Christmas

fire damage repairThe Christmas season is typically a time of reflection, celebration and expression of love with friends and family. The one thing that can ruin that holiday joy is a fire that ravages a home due to unforeseen events. There is nothing worse than having to deal with tragedy during the holiday season. However, there are a few things you can do to prevent the need to contact a home restoration expert to complete fire damage repair that occurs during the Christmas holiday.

Here are a few tips to consider.

First – Don’t Overload Outlets

We all love to decorate our homes during the holidays. However, did you know that according to the US Department of Energy, the number one cause of fire damage during the holiday season is electrical fires that are caused by overloaded circuit and outlets? Some of the leading causes of this situation can include:

It’s quite ok to take pride in decorating inside your home – just be careful about how many lights you plug into each electrical outlet. If you have questions about how much power that your home’s electrical outlets can handle, contact a local electrician.

Second – Place Candles Away from Flammable Material

Many fire damage restoration specialists in Scottsdale also agree that another way to reduce the potential of fire damage occurring inside your home during the holidays is to remove candles from any flammable materials. It’s very common for homeowners to use decorative table coverings on table tops – then place decorative candles on top. However, many fires that can lead to smoke damage inside a home are triggered by candles that drip hot wax or candle residue onto these flammable coverings. Other causes of indoor fires can be caused by candles that are near other combustible materials such as:

  • Oils or Scented potpourri
  • Decorative tissue paper
  • Wooden toys or decorative items

Third – Extinguish Fireplace Coals Completely

Contrary to popular opinion, Santa Claus does care about the fire in your chimney. Hot coals inside a fireplace can continue to produce heat in excess of 200 degrees – hours after they appear to be burnt out. This is often a leading cause of forest fires, but can also trigger fires that lead to water damage and expensive home repairs as the embers can ignite items located near the fireplace such as:

The holiday season is supposed to be relaxing and enjoyable for families and individuals. By being aware of some of the common causes of indoor fire damage in Scottsdale, you can take proactive steps to protect your home against fire – saving you money, stress and frustration.

_________________________

Peak One Builders & Restoration are Scottsdale’s trusted disaster recovery and restoration specialists, call us today at (480) 378-0611.

Read related articles:

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*