There are literally hundreds of residential general contractors that provide good service to the Phoenix metro area. So when its time to hire a GC to complete your construction project you want to be sure you’re working with the right company. The last thing you want is a contractor that is unpleasant to work with or does not provide the quality of service and craftsmanship you’re looking for.
Three Tips To Verify A Trustworthy Residential General Contractor
Tip #1 – Set Up An Introductory Meeting
It’s vital to hire a general contractor that will take time to speak with you about all aspects of your residential project. This begins with an introductory meeting where you can spend time with the residential general contractor in a relaxed setting to simply “feel them out”. During this first meeting, there are a few important questions you should ask including:
1) Are you licensed, insured and bonded to complete residential home repair and construction in this State?
2) What services do you provide? (Make sure they can complete all aspects of the residential home improvement project such as planning, legal documents and permits, construction and follow-up.)
3) Do you have a list of former clients that I can speak with?
The introductory meeting is a great opportunity to speak directly with the general contractor in Scottsdale and ensure that they are dedicated to producing quality-driven results.
Tip #2 – Check with the BBB
The Better Business Bureau has been a reliable source of information for Arizona residents for several years. This organization provides consumer protection by investigating private businesses for their business practices. When a company has a good rating with the BBB, you can trust that they will perform exceptionally for you. This is especially critical when hiring a general contractor. You can also check out consumer websites like Angieslist.com to see what customers have to say about the general contractor. The most important thing is to verify with these consumer groups that the GC does not have negative information posted.
Tip #3 – Set up a Solid Plan
After you’ve taken time to review the background and capabilities of the general contractors you are interested in, you should then set up a solid plan on how you intend to move forward.
Here is what you need to determine before you hire a contractor.
1) What type of project are you completing? If you are planning to build a new custom home, you’ll want to make sure you have your plot of land selected, create your design and blueprints; and consider all utility issues before hiring any general contractor. If it’s a simple remodeling project, make sure the general contractor has experience in completing your specific type of remodel.
2) Make sure the general contractor has the ability and desire to adapt to changes in plans. The best GC’s out there will communicate very well with you during the entire process. But the exceptional ones will set up several meetings during every phase of the construction process.
3) Ensure they provide a warranty and follow-up after the project is completed.
If you follow these three easy tips, you’ll be certain to retain the services of an amazing residential general contractor that will truly provide you with great service and quality construction.