It’s common for homeowners in Phoenix to find affordable ways to spice up their homes – and increase property value. And one of the quickest growing trends in Arizona is the addition of several home renovation projects both in the city limits and suburbs. One question that many homeowners often ask is where to start on a home renovation project?
A Priority List Of Items Needed For Any Home Renovation Project
First – Always Begin With Setting A Budget
Whether you’re going to simply paint the house or take on a complete restoration project, the first and probably biggest step is to create a very strong budget. It’s often said that money doesn’t grow on trees. Well, in the construction industry, money is often the primary hurdle to overcome. This is why the best thing any homeowner can do is to create a solid budget of what they can afford to spend on any home renovation project.
Second – Create A Needs List And Wish List
It’s also important for homeowners to look at the big picture of their potential home renovation project. The best way to accomplish this step is to create two, independent lists.
- The first list will be items that you need to include in your renovation project. For example, if you’re planning on increasing the overall square footage of your home by adding a casita, another bedroom or finishing a basement, the actual project of adding those spaces is a needed feature in order to accomplish your goal.
- Once you have a good idea as to what you’re trying to accomplish with your renovation project, the next thing to consider is what material items you need to make the addition ‘livable’. Let’s look at the basement project for an example. If you’re going to finish a basement, you’ll most likely need a few critical items including air conditioning/heating duct work installed (if not already complete), electrical and plumbing installed (again, if it’s not already finished), drywall hung, walls built, filled with insulation and textured and several other common elements. If you’re going to have living spaces in the basement, you’ll most likely need at least one full bath finished as well.
After you’ve created the needed items for your home renovation project in Phoenix, the next step is to think of wants and compare them to your budget. For example:
- Perhaps you’d want a bar installed in a loft, or outside on your backyard patio?
- Maybe you want to install decorative lighting, install surround sound speakers inside the walls or other upgraded items?
- It might be a desire of yours to add custom molding, textured walls or vaulted ceilings.
The point here is that it’s very important for you to separate items you need to have completed, vs those that are more of a want – where if you have extra room in your budget, you can afford to install.
As you can see, there are several actions that can keep you busy when you’re asking where to start on a home renovation project in Phoenix. The best advice we can give is to contact a professional general contractor for a free consultation so they can answer any questions and help you plan that perfect home renovation project.
Renovations, remodeling, new construction, etc; we have the Professional answers – call Peak One Builders & Restoration today at (480) 378-0611!