It’s the goal of many hard working adults to someday build a custom dream home in Scottsdale. But when that opportunity arises, it’s amazing how many of us simply don’t know what steps to take in order to transfer our dreams into reality. Fortunately, we’ve got a solution for those looking to build a custom dream home in Scottsdale or any other city in Arizona.
5 Actions To Take When Planning Your Dream Home
The first thing you should do in planning to build a dream home is to start with detailed list of items you want to include at your dream home. Here are a few examples of specific items to jot down:
First – Total Rooms
The first detail you should write down is how many rooms you’d like to include inside your custom built home. A great way to streamline this process is to document rooms in sections such as:
- Living, Entertaining or Social Rooms
- Storage Rooms
- Dining or Cooking ‘Rooms’
Second – Total Floors
Once you’ve determined how many rooms you want, the next step is to decide how many floors you need to create a livable home. This is often determined on the size of your lot and local zoning requirements. It’s a good idea to meet with an experienced custom home builder when planning this stage as they can provide you with professional input in regards to construction costs, permits required and practical construction requirements.
Third – Outside or Detached Construction Needs
In this section you’ll want to document how many detached elements you want to include on your property. This often will include several specifics including:
- Garage Space
- Detached Apartments / Casita / Guest House
- Backyard design: pool, landscaping, fire pits, outdoor cooking area, entertainment patio, and other outdoor elements
- Front yard landscaping, courtyard entrance, driveway, entryway construction
When building a dream home, you’ll want to make sure to create a theme that is consistent throughout the inside and outside of the property. Again, sometimes there are restrictions based on HOA’s or other local laws, so make sure to speak with your home architect about any and all restrictions.
Fourth – Interior Design
After you’ve picked the basic construction process, you’ll want to plan the interior elements of your dream home in Scottsdale. Some of the specific features you’ll want to discuss with your contractor include:
- Electrical needs: What electronic needs or wants do you have? Can you power these items with traditional power supply or will you need custom electric?
- Plumbing needs: Based on how many bathrooms, kitchens, outdoor water elements and other items we’ve discussed above. This applies to both water and natural gas.
- HVAC needs: Living in Arizona requires a good, energy efficient HVAC system. You’ll want to work with your homebuilder to find a good solution here.
- Flooring, Walls, Ceilings: Planning all of these areas in order to create the look and feel that is uniquely yours.
- Appliances, Storage, Countertops, Cabinets, Closets, Offices and other Interior Décor ideas
Fifth – Fine Tuning Needs vs. Wants vs. Reality of Budget
The final step to build your custom dream home in Scottsdale is taking all of these ‘wants’ and placing a cost to the entire package. Once you determine how much your dream home will cost to build, you’ll be in a better position to fine-tune the entire project to fit within your actual spending limit. If money isn’t an issue – have fun! But for the other 99% of us, it’s important to create a detailed list of important items and upgrades that you would like to include in your dream home.