Building a custom home is the dream of most Americans. Whether it’s the thought of being involved in every aspect of the design and build process or the joy that comes with building a home built precisely to your exact wants, desires and needs, building a custom home can be an exhilarating experience. And if you’re considering the custom home route, a great first step is to create a custom home checklist that will make the entire process smooth, affordable and ensure you get exactly what you want included in your dream home.
Getting Your Custom Home Checklist Organized
Here are a few tips on how to create a complete checklist for any custom home project.
Step #1 – Consider Changes You’d Make To Your Current Home
It’s said that the best ideas are often stimulated by items you see every day. This is why the first step for any custom home project is to consider things about the current home you live in that you’d like to change for a custom home. For example:
- Maybe you’d like to have a few more bedrooms on the main floor for guests that visit your custom home?
- Perhaps the kitchen inside your current home is too small – too big or doesn’t include features or appliances that you’d love to have inside a dream home?
- How about the garage? Is it too small; is it not deep enough for your car to fit? Perhaps you don’t have enough electrical outlets or would like to have custom installed electrical outlets to work on projects easier?
The point here is to start a checklist of things about your current home you don’t like when you’re considering the custom home route.
Step #2 – Make a List of ‘Must-Haves’
Building a custom home is all about getting what you want. So why should you not include your ‘must have’ items inside your custom home checklist. A great way to start this checklist of must have items is to separate it by area. For example, create sections to help streamline the process. Some of the ideas for sections include:
- Create a section for Plumbing Features: This would include how many bathrooms, showers, tubs, kitchen appliances, where you’d like to install your sinks, what type of sinks and other plumbing related features that you’re new home will include.
- Create an electrical section where you outline certain electrical upgrade ‘wants’ such as custom electrical outlet installation, ceiling fans, HVAC systems, outdoor electrical and more.
- Create a décor section: Here you’d add luxury items including a certain material for countertops, cabinets, lighting, flooring, wall-treatments, windows, skylights and any areas that create a look and function for your custom home.
Step #3 – Create a List of Reliable Custom Home Builders
Once you create a detailed list of items you’d like to include in your dream custom home, the final step is to create a more structured list of custom home builders in your area that are qualified to complete each step on your checklist. When you choose any custom house builder in Scottsdale, make sure you consider the following:
- Make sure they have experience in building true custom homes – not simply editing cookie-cutter designs.
- Ensure they provide free consultations to speak with you about your vision, plans and budget.
- Always insist on reference checks from previous custom home clients they’ve had.
When you are in the market for building a custom home, you should never compromise on quality, your wants and include all the features you’ve dreamed about. However, it’s also important to remember that not every custom home builder is equally qualified. This is why using a good custom home checklist like the one above will help you find the right builder for this perfect dream home project.
Read more articles about custom home building:
- Top 5 Scottsdale Residential Construction “Fails” to Avoid
- Why Using Green Building Materials Can Save You Money
- Choosing An Energy Efficient Homebuilder in Scottsdale Az