It’s an all too common problem; you wake up in the middle of the night because you hear water running only to discover that your pipes have burst. This is very common in Scottsdale and without question, it’s very frustrating when a major home component breaks and causes significant damage. However, there are a few things that you can and should do if this occurs that can reduce additional damage being done to you house and save you a considerable amount of stress fixing water damage in Scottsdale.
Step #1 – Cut the Water Supply to the House
There are a few items that every home owner should be 100% confident on how to use – the gas, electrical and water shut off devices. Whether it’s a valve or an electrical main power switch, knowing the specific location of these major supply shut off areas can save your home from major damage; but also potentially save a life. When you hear water running inside your home, it’s suggested that do everything you can to look for the leak and shut off water supply as soon as possible – to avoid additional water leaking and causing more damage to the home.
Here are some quick emergency procedures you should follow once you discover a water leak
- Locate and identify the source of the incoming water. If possible, try to shut off water supply or call a professional to handle it.
- Turn off all electrical breakers that control the affected area to reduce electrical hazards.
- Remove or elevate furniture & draperies off wet areas to prevent permanent stains or rust marks from occurring.
- Empty out closet floors, including shoes and cardboard boxes, which could cause staining.
- Remove photos & paintings to a safe dry area
- Try to use a mop, squeegee, or shop-vac to help remove any standing water and contain the leak if at all possible
Step #2 – Call a Plumber Immediately
Even if you consider yourself to be a great do-it-yourselfer, working on the water system or plumbing lines is something that should be left to the professionals. A professional plumber will be able to diagnose the cause of your water leak and make appropriate repairs to your system to ensure additional damage doesn’t occur. A broken water pipe can be fixed easier the sooner it is found and diagnosed. If you hear water running and can see you have reduced water pressure, don’t delay; call the professionals immediately.
Step #3 – Contact a Home Water Damage Expert in Scottsdale
Once the water leak is fixed by a certified plumber, the process of diagnosing and repairing any water damage then begins to take shape. A professional water damage contractor will have the experience and equipment to properly diagnose common and often undiagnosed water damage issues. Some of the methods they will use to discover all potential issues include:
- Completing a diagnosis and inspection of the root cause of your water leak. Even if a plumber has fixed the main issue, it’s always a good idea to have a professional Scottsdale water damage repair company come in and double check the repairs.
- Examination of the walls, floors, ceilings and all areas of the home that might have experienced water damage.
- Inspection of the foundation for any water damage, checking for any signs of mold or other potential issues that can occur with water leaks in Scottsdale.
A water leak is not something that should be taken lightly. If you experience any water leaks inside your home, take a proactive step to protect your home by contacting a water damage expert in Scottsdale.
Are you suffering from a water disaster in your Scottsdale or Phoenix home or office? Call Peak One Builders & Restoration; a trusted, Veteran Owned company providing water restoration services valley wide. Call (480) 569-7977 Today!
Read related articles:
- 3 Most Common Scottsdale Water Damage Repair Projects
- 3 Reasons to Call Water Restoration Company in Scottsdale
- Flood Restoration In Scottsdale Can Come From a Simple HVAC Leak